Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Top Ten Reasons Why Writing is Hard

A lil' while back I yammered on about this book my colleague & I were going to write. Sounded like a great idea at the time, right? Of course, since then, we've accomplished nothing. Not a damn thing. Not together and not apart (or at least I haven't accomplished anything myself; and I'm pretty sure she hasn't either). That whole "once a week at lunch" idea? Fantastic in theory; impossible in reality. It's not that we don't want to; that we've changed our minds; or won the lottery or anything. No. It's just been really really hard finding the time and drive to make it happen. And here's why:

10. There's this little thing called A Job. Mine requires me to work ridiculous hours with very little downtime. At least that's its torment of the moment.
9. Sleep is golden. And there never seems to be enough of it.
8. I'd rather be dancing.
7. Or day dreaming.
6. It's rained more days than not for the last month and weather like that is hardly a motivator.
5. Facebook. 'nuf said.
4. Did I mention sleep?
3. There is no right way to write a book. And I like to be right.
2. It's hard enough to come up with ten reasons why its hard.
1. If it was easy, everybody'd do it. And then it wouldn't pay. So what would be the point.

No comments: