Sunday, October 09, 2005

The New & Improved All-Nighter

I just pulled an all-nighter for the first time in I-don't-even-know-how-many years. Needless to say, I'm feeling a little punchy. ; ) That said, please forgive me for any nonsensical things I'm about to say.

It would be awesome if the all-nighter was the result of a crazy night out or even a crazy night in, but, alas, it was not. No such luck for stina. No, I got to pull an all-nighter so I could draft an opposition brief. Doesn't that sound like fun, children? OK - I admit it - except for the not sleeping part, it actually was kind of fun. (Well, maybe "fun" isn't exactly the right word, but I haven't slept since 9:00AM yesterday and I'm running on pure caffeine so my vocab may not be up to snuff. OK? ) Anywho -- I was granted the privilege of losing all hopes of sleep to draft this brief, for work, and the sad part is I didn't mind it all that much. Well, while I was doing it, it kinda sucked (especially when DH went up to bed and I ran out of coffee and didn't want to go out in the torrential rain to get more), but overall, it wasn't so bad. Holy shit - did I just say that? Who am I? Especially since this was the first time I've had to work past 9PM and only the second weekend day I've had to work since starting my new job (somewhere on this damn blog is an entry about that, but I am way to tired and fuzzy headed to find it and put a link here). My point, as sleep-deprived and poorly thought out as it may be, is that although I've billed more than 20 hours since yesterday morning, the whole experience was not too terrible. At least they (the powers that be at my new firm) trust me enough to actually draft a brief (not like my last firm where I was lucky they even let me use a computer -- I swear, that place really must have thought I was gonna run with scissors or something, because they didn't let me do squat). But like I was saying, it wasn't too bad -- I got to do some pretty interesting research and writing, scored some major brownie points with the firm's managing partner (who, by the way, I was doing this work for), and above all, I get to feel like I didn't waste the disgusting amount of money I spent getting my J.D. Does this mean I'm a grown up now, because I don't really want to be.

This does not mean I am looking forward to any more of these. But they're not as bad as I remember, and so long as I have a stockpile of coffee, I'll survive, which is a good thing because its possible I'll be doing it again on Wednesday for a different brief. Fucking courts with their fucking deadlines!

Now that I have dutifully managed to ramble on about nothing in particular, and keep to my self-imposed rule of blogging at least once a week, even if I have nothing really to say (i.e. see my last entry, which was kinda cheating, but due to a technology malfunction beyond my control, or understanding, I lost a entry I was working on that was so freaking awesome, you would not believe it), I bid you all good night. Come on, that was fun, wasn't it?

No comments: