Friday, January 30, 2009

Don't NJ Cops Have Better Things To Do?

From today's NJ Lawyer Daily Briefing:

PANEL ADVANCES BILL PENALIZING SNOW/ICE BUILD-UP ON VEHICLES
The Assembly Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee has approved a bill that would make it an offense to fail to remove accumulated ice or snow from a motor vehicle prior to operation. Under the bill, A-1718, each driver has an affirmative duty to make all reasonable efforts to remove accumulated ice or snow from exposed surfaces of the vehicle, including the hood, trunk, windshield, windows and roof. Police could stop vehicles where they believe accumulated ice or snow poses a threat to persons or property, regardless of whether snow or ice is dislodged. Violators would be subject to fines of $25 to $75.


WTF?!?! A law forcing folks to remove the snow from the fucking roofs of their cars or face being pulled over and getting a ticket even if the fucking snow never even flies off the roof? I'm sorry but is this really fucking necessary? Cause you know what it means, don't you? It means that on snowy days local cops, and possibly even the staties, are going to take the opportunity to rack up the fees for snow covered roofs instead of focusing on, oh, I don't know...stopping actual unsafe drivers or looking for actual criminals who might not earn the government money. Yes, it's annoying when snow or ice flies off the car in front of you. But is it that big of a deal? Really? I've never heard of a single person being injured or even suffering damage to their car so I really don't aee the ppoint; not to mention that other laws would come into play if the snow actually flies off. It's as if the legislators in NJ need people to think they are actually doing shit or something. As opposed to just sitting in their offices planning for their re-elections.

Well I wish they'd fucking stop it! I'd rather they do nothing then keep up this bs - passing law after law that does little for the state other than stretching our police further and further. I mean really...how about they fucking enforce the rules we already have before adding new ones to the list. Like the recycling law. A ton of folks blatantly abuse that one - and I mean blatantly. Just take a drive through my neighborhood on trash day and see for yourself. Or, if they've got a thing for snow-related rules...how about the one that says home/property owners have to shovel their walks or face a fine? Just this morning, on my very short walk from my house to the bus stop, I could have issued at least 6 or 7 tickets.

All I know is that this proposed no snow on the car rule is ridiculous. I'm sure the cops have better shit to do and if the legislators want us to think they're deserving of re-election, then maybe they should do some real fucking work -- like finally passing the law that would prohibit crooked and caught politicians from using campaign contributions as their personal defense funds. That would be something I could believe in. Then again, I suppose that rule might not be in their own self-interest so I probably shouldn't hold my breath.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: