Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Bastard Ass Mega-Stores...and lawyers

From today's New Jersey Lawyer, Daily Briefing (an email based newsletter):

As if Wal-Mart doesn’t have enough revenue, it recently sued in Oregon state court and was awarded $175 from a retired couple who forgot to pay a $10 bill for 10 bags of steer manure. Charles and Cheryl Gastorf say that after they forgot to add the manure tab in a hectic shopping spree, the giant retailer sued under a state law that allows retailers to pursue civil penalties regardless of whether a person is found guilty of theft. Mr. Gastorf said the couple did not fight the claim, but denied guilt, noting, “We wouldn’t want to embark on a life of crime at our ages and become manure thieves.” Wal-Mart has said it plans to refund the money. 8-23-05

Now I love a bargain probably even more than the nexy guy, and when living in VA where WalMart ruled the land, I spent a lot of my money in that place, and I of course realize keeping prices low probably ain't easy, but goddamn this pisses me off! What I'd like to know is how much the fucking a-holes paid their lawyers to go after a retired couple for a few bucks. And what fucking lawyer thought this was a worthwhile case? God, lawyers are assholes. Or at least some of us are. I like to think I'm not quite that bad. But then again, I still new to this so I guess the jury is still out.

No comments: