Thursday, June 30, 2005

15 Days and Counting...

In 15 days I am leaving for a 17 day vacation. I've been privately counting the days for quite a while now. I figured two weeks before is a fine time to start the public countdown, but I couldn't wait for tomorrow. Plus it is very likely that tomorrow will find me as crazy busy as I have been since my last post here.

Anyway - vacation. A real one. Mostly. My DH and I leave in 16 days. We'll spend three days in San Fran, which for whatever reason I have yet to see despite having been told for years how I will love the place. After three days, it's off to the gorgeous island of Maui. That's right. Two weeks in Paradise! We are renting a condo away from the crowds, on the edge of the rainforest, very secluded, but with a pool. Like a second honeymoon - if we'd had a first one. So, its like a first honeymoon. Except while we're there we'll be attending the wedding of two of our greatest friends. These are two people who you would expect to stay together forever, but never expected to get married. They just seemed too cool, or laid back for it. But, they're taking the plunge and we'll be there to witness it. On the top of a mountain in Maui, with 360 degree views of the island, starting at sundown, on the night of a full moon. Pretty f'in cool, right?

Now, this vaca is costing an arm and a leg, but I figure, what the hell. What's the good of having money if not to spend it, right? So in preparation for this fantastic little trip, I've picked up some great new clothes from this adorable little boutique in Hoboken (
Rubee's Closet -- a shameless plug for my friend that owns the joint), two new swimsuits, and some new luggage to pack all my crap in.

Of course I already have luggage, but not nearly enough space for 17 days. My shoes alone will take up half of my "weekend" bag. I know - it sounds like I am planning on seriously over-packing, but to be honest, I don't know any other way of packing. First, where we're staying is hot during the day, but cool at night. That means cover ups if not two whole outfits for each day. Then, we're not really sure what we want to do while we're there, so I have to plan for contingencies. I already picked up a one piece bathing suit in case I decide to take surfing lessons. And suppose I should pack my hiking boots so we can hike the volcano. Whatever -- all my suitcases have wheels, and my DH will be there to help, so I'm not worried. I just can't wait.


In case anyone cares, I won't be posting during my vacation, which I think I mentioned starts in 15 days, but I am planning on keeping a travel journal and will excerpt from it when we get back home. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a blank journal. And sunscreen.

Picture compliments of MauiQueen

No comments: