Thursday, March 08, 2007

The "V" Word


Not but three days ago, I ranted about the misogynism behind the word cunt.

Turns out I was right, as
this story proves. Long-story-short: three NYC high school girls suspended for saying the word vagina during a reading of The Vagina Monologues. If you aren't as amazed as me, you should have your head examined.

And the "we didn't suspend them for saying the word, only for disobeying the order not to say the word" line of bullshit from the school...the fucktards who said that prolly shoulda checked with their lawyer first. Because trying to prohibit the girls from using the word in the first place is even worse than punishing them after the fact. It's called "prior restraints" and even the Supremes on the right have a distaste for that shit.

Seriously -- I understand not saying "cunt," but now you can't even say "vagina?" In New York fucking City -- one of the "bluest" places on the planet? Are you fucking kidding me? Because "children" might hear the word? Really? Should girls be so ashamed of their bodies that they aren't even allowed to mention it in public? Using the "real" (i.e. technical/medical) word for it? How old is old enough, exactly, for a little girl to know that the thing between her legs is called a fucking VAGINA? Please, MR. Principal, and MR. School Board President, do tell, I for one would like to know...and you being men must surely know better than I. Dicks.

One last question - if three boys had used the word "penis" as part of a literary reading, would they have received the same punishment? Would they have been told the word was "inappropriate for children?" I somehow doubt it. You sexist motherfuckers.

Man - I am so fucking pissed about this. Can you tell? I hope those girls' parents sue. I would.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I'm thinking about launching The Anal Monologues. I think people would find that interesting.

LSL said...

I love this post - I've been thinking about this a lot this week. And I love the category. They're not just misogynists, people. They're fucking misogynists. Agreed.

LSL said...

And I would go to see The Anal Monologues. As long as it wasn't about me and my OCD.